Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Introduction to Plant Unit in 2nd Grade

After a discussion with the other second grade teachers, I decided to start the plant unit with a touch, feel, taste, and smell kick off.

I brought in:
carrots with stems
asparagus
almonds
sesame seeds
sunflower seeds
corn with the husk
green beans
sugar snap peas
celery
apple
bananas
fresh spinach

I showed each item one at the time. The kids went nuts over it. I let them touch, smell and taste after I had introduced each fruit and veggie to the students.

The students were so excited --they were literally saying, "I love spinach. It taste so wonderful!"

Mrs. Brown and I plan to do a follow-up where we allow the students to taste lima beans and black-eyed peas. Both every southern and delicious, both something none of them have tried. Should be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment